KEY FACTS ABOUT ASBESTOS IN THE HOME ...
1. Every home built or renovated in the years leading up to 1987, most likely contains asbestos!
2. A conservative estimate is that 1 in 3 homes in Australia contains asbestos including brick.
3. If asbestos is undisturbed it generally does not pose a health risk.
4. Many Australians may unknowingly be putting their health and the health of their children, and neighbours at risk
because they don’t really understand the dangers of working with asbestos or know where it might be found in
and around their home.
5. During renovations or the demolition of homes containing asbestos, asbestos fibres can be released into the air
and be inhaled leading to asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma.
6. Not only homes constructed of fibro contain asbestos. Asbestos may be found in every room in the home. It may
be behind wall and floor tiles, in walls, ceilings, under floor coverings including lino and carpet and around hot
7. Only scientific testing of a sample of material by an accredited National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA)
asbestos testing laboratory can confirm the presence of asbestos. For information on testing and accredited
laboratories in your area, visit www.nata.com.au or call 1800 621 666.
8. If asbestos materials are in good condition, paint them and leave them alone.
Kentish Council supports the Asbestos Education Committee & the Asbestos Diseases Research Institute