Property rates are Council's principle revenue source. Valuations provided by the Valuer-General are used to calculate the rates on each property.
Collection of Council's rates is essential to the funding of services and capital works. To encourage this, Council offers a discount on current rates where rates are paid in full by the first installment due date.
Rate Installment Dates
Important note: The rates for the 2020/21 financial year have been delayed and will be released by the end of August 2020.
You may choose to pay your rates in full on or before the first installment date, or by four installments.
- Installment 1 - 30 September 2020
- Installment 2 - 31 October 2020
- Installment 3 - 28 February 2021
- Installment 4 - 30 April 2021
Pay Your Rates
Please click here to pay your rates. Please note that by clicking on this link you will leave our website.
Any ratepayers who are experiencing genuine difficulties in meeting these dates can apply for alternative payment arrangements by contacting Council's Rates Officer or completing and submitting the following form Application for Rates Arrangement.
How Your Rates Are Calculated
Further information on how rates are calculated and a guide to council services are available for download:
Pensioner Rate Remission
- A Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card, or
- A Department of Veteran’s Affairs Repatriation Health ‘Gold Card’ which bears the inscription ‘War Widow/Widower DVA’ or ‘TPI’, or
- Health Care Card Holders – Australian Government
Possession of an Australian Government Seniors Health Card does not qualify the holder to a rate remission.
Please complete the Application for Pensioner Rates Remission form and submit it to Council by email, post or in person.
Financial Hardship Assistance
Council adopted a Financial Assistance Hardship Policy to assist ratepayers who are experiencing genuine and serious financial hardship to receive relief from rates.
Change of Address
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: PO Box 63, Sheffield TAS 7306
- In Person: 69 High Street, Sheffield